16 May 2019

Elevation Data from Map K in B10

After finishing my poster and webmap at CSUN, I grew dissatisfied with the DEM I had created. First of all the plateau effect at the base of the mountains diminished the slope to the peaks.This particular quirk was caused by me placing a uniform value at the base of the mountains (I think it was 3200 ft), where the line on map K differentiates between mountain and hill. Also despite all my efforts to smooth the map out, it turned out a little too dimply to appear aesthetically pleasing or realistic in my mind. Therefore I determined a better way to move forward was to create a more detailed contour map and abandon the randomization method I used for the project; along with this I reevaluated how I had interpreted elevation from mountains displayed in map K.

So after some conversation at the the piazza, and looking at some other art pieces that Geoff Wingate  did to get some perspective on his art style, I came up with a satisfactory interpretation of the map K from B10. Basically I see it as a series of mountains with branching arms that collide into each other creating these north/south ridge lines.


I am planning on determining the elevation of each ridgeline more meticulously than last time. last time I picked a high point and generated a steady progression of numbers down to the bottom of the mountain range that I applied to a set of points along the ridge. this time each point will be individually evaluated, and I may have to introduce points in the spaces in between the ridges to get the valley/ridge dichotomy that I want from the spline interpolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment