11 May 2021

The Games We Played . . .

Just felt like showing off what my father had available when he ran games for me and my siblings. If you want to more in depth discussions about these, you can listen to our interviews here: anchor.fm/dndnduncanites

the rule sets,  my dad used the cook/marsh expert set mostly, while I used the Mentzer book when I started dming. My dad allowed mystics and druids at 1st level,  we used weapon mastery and the other rules from the companion and master set starting from level 1, we never did get any characters up to companion levels.

the supplements, ac2 had an adventure we played quite a bit, and ac7 also had an adventure which we never played. Didn't really use the provided character sheets, we had a master sheet that was a photocopy of the one provided in the basic set with some modifications. Some of the items in marvelous magic saw occasional use, but the 2 screens and the creature catalog(more for the index than anything else) saw the most use and are literally falling apart. 

the basic modules.  Sword of justice is from Dragon magazine and is just as iconic to me as B1 or B2. B10 was the beginning of a series of adventures that led to the founding of the Dragon City. 

The expert modules. Isle of dread was a favorite, we really only used the blue one, so the orange is almost like new still. X4 and X5 led to a long excursion into the Western deserts. My dad ran O1 at least once for each of us kids. Lots of fun memories watching others play through it while we knew all the spoilers.

the high level modules we either never played or only did as one-shots.

The version of the Known World my dad was subsequently quite different than what was presented in the gazetteer line as he only had these modules. My version of Mystara/ the Known World is a continuation of where my dad left off, with some modifications based on my personal preferences.  I do use material from the gazetteers and other published material but the results of our early adventures takes precedence over all else.

3 comments:

  1. I found and listened to your interviews on anchor.fm a while back - great stuff, and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that I threw away the boxes for the rule sets after my dad bequeathed his stuff to me; something I now regret. I got rid of them mostly to save space, but also because of their condition. The basic and master sets had had been lined with tape numerous times and were falling apart and basically flat, the expert and companion boxes were taped but still usable, while the immortals box was almost like new still; didn't see much point in keeping the immortals if I was getting rid of the rest. At the same time I threw out a bunch of old character sheets that we never used from dads old games.

    ReplyDelete