26 January 2023

On Adventures vs Campaigns

So kinda inspired by certain posts I've seen around the blogosphere recently and what's been going on in my own recent campaign. 

This kinda goes back to an earlier post I wrote about why I dont like to run adventure modules. I've been running B4 the lost city for one of my groups for a bit now, but I had to take a lot of time to prep for it. Basically I had to rewrite the entire module just so I could run it, I made a few changes to fit with my world, but its mostly unchanged. It went from a 32 page module to 5 pages of notes and redrawn maps(with more detail). I had to do this partly because the module is overly wordy, but mostly because "running a module" just doesn't fit with how I run my world. I had to turn the module into a setting(which ultimately resulted into some really unexpected outcomes)

I've got this one player who keeps asking me to run this or that old module for him, and I keep saying that they exist as locations and he would have to get his pc to make the effort to discover and go to that place(which he finally did for the lost city). Because I use my version of mystara that means that most of the basic line of modules are present in my world, I just don't run them as "adventurers" that I take the party on. 

I run a setting not an adventure. I don't separate between the two. The current actions of the PCs are the adventure, they don't go from one adventure to another, going through a cycle of Dungeons and plots and whatnot. The only real thing separating "adventures" is each individual session we get to play; it's all one continous adventure. The adventure is the players(not the pcs, but the actual players) discovering my world and interacting with it. Without their direct interaction, there is no game. As much effort as I put into the campaign setting it is nothing without someone else playing in it and finding their own adventure. 

It's my job to present the setting, and most assuredly not to give the players an "adventure" to play through; the adventure is created by them.

5 comments:

  1. "I run a setting not an adventure. I don't separate between the two."

    That's called having a campaign, man. Welcome to old school AD&D.
    : )

    Really...this is the bit that a LOT of "OSR" folks don't get. I didn't even realized campaign management was a skill that had been lost within the hobby until recently (a couple-few years back). This is such a good post, Lance: it really warms my heart.

    Give your buddy a treasure map to the adventure he wants. Just make sure he spends his gold outfitting the caravan to get there!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need to make more use of treasure maps ;D

      Delete
  2. I think that’s a really good idea. Pull apart the module and find the good stuff. It’ll be a good nostalgia trip. Better in fact because it leaves out the bad stuff.

    Kanye is right. What game system are you using? Basic style?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Classic D&D(prefer that over calling it basi for a lot of reasons) with my myriad houserules.

      Delete